Ten Commandments of Care-giving
1. I surrender to now living a ‘new normal’ that is anything but normal!
2. I must surrender to the unknown and the unpredictable and be in the ‘now’.
3. I must relinquish all expectations, as nothing will ever be the same.
4. I must honor my new feelings – loss, sadness, fear, anger and guilt.
5. I must have compassion for the one I care for and their new road of difficulty, pain, trauma, dependency and loss.
6. I must have compassion for myself as I navigate the new demands and responsibility I undertake.
7. I must recognize the impact this new role can have – exhaustion, stress, anxiety, PTSD and grief.
8. I must take care of, not only my loved one, but also ‘myself’ – physically, emotionally and spiritually so I can sustain strength and resilience.
9. I must find appreciation and gratitude for moments of joy and pleasure, no matter how small.
10. I must discover my new bliss and create a life of meaning, productivity and life-fulfilling activity.
Rabbi Eva Robbins from
“Alchemy of Darkness, Transformation of Spirit” 2019